Sunday, May 14, 2006

NFJS - Intro

One of my goals for the year was to improve my technical skills, particularly related to Java surround technology. One of the first things I did to realize this goal was to start attending meetings of the Boulder Java User’s Group and Denver Java User’s Group. Both JUGs attract excellent speakers who cover interesting and relevant topics. If you live in the Denver area, I highly recommend attending.

While I will probably blog more on these meetings at a later date, the point today is that through these meetings, I learned of the 2006 Rocky Mountain Software Symposium, a.k.a, the No Fluff Just Stuff Tour. The symposium was held near Avaya and after looking at the seminars available, I decided I wanted to attend. The first option, obviously, was to pay for it myself. While I was willing to do so, I decided to first see if Avaya would foot the bill. The company ended up sending me along with two co-workers. SCORE!!!

It was well worth the time. I learned a lot of great stuff.

Future blogs will summarize the seminars I attended. Along the way, I will also share some of the most interesting ideas and soundbites that I took away from them.

Until then, here are some general soundbites I took away from the speakers and attendees…


  • Java is not just a language, it is a framework.

  • Who needs architects?

  • Right to left scheduling. <= One of my favorites!

  • And a bonus quote from a speaker (I wish I could remember who) at a local JUG:
    • Any project with more than 10 team members is bound to fail!

1 comment:

dadrox said...

"Any project with more than 10 team members is bound to fail!"
Wasn't it Venkat Subramanian?