Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Passionate Worst...

A follow up to my last blog on Chad Fowler’s book. I’m not going to summarize the entire book, which I highly recommend, but rather comment on a couple more points that really hit home. Fowler is discussing strategies a developer can use to protect their job. The “Be the worst programmer in the room” and “Love it or leave it” strategies are right on target.

In “Be the worst programmer”, Chad creates an analogy between being the worst musician in a band and being the “worst” programmer on a team. In both cases, he argues that people tend to perform at the level of those surrounding them. If those surrounding you surpass your abilities, it is often the case that you rise to the challenge and the quantity and quality of your work will surpass what you might normally have produced. He also argues that the opposite is true. If you find yourself on a team composed of lesser caliber people, your performance may take a hit because you are not challenged.

I have always enjoyed working with talented people. What I liked about this strategy is that it put into words what I think I have always instinctively been drawn too. While I have never felt like “the worst” (too much hubris?), I have always thrived on learning from those around me and have often felt like I had to step it up when surrounded by experienced developers. When I am the most experienced person in a team (which is where I find myself at the present time), I try to motivate the folks I am working with to stretch their talents as well. I hope I am successful, but if the truth were known, I think I prefer being “the worst”.

When I interview potential developers, I think the key trait I look for is passion (particularly for software development, but really passion in any area is a plus). This fits right into Fowler’s “Love it or leave it” strategy. A quote from the book, “What I found were a whole lot of people who were picking up a paycheck and a few incredibly passionate craftspeople,” summarizes my experience interviewing applicants. The blank stares I get when I ask “What technology or technological book in the past six months got you excited?” truly amazes me. One deer in the headlights applicant, in an attempt to hide the fact that she had nothing, answered that she had just read the user manuals for a commercial database she was using at her current job! As Chad says, “You can fake it for awhile, but a lack of passion will catch up with you and your work.”

I have been fortunate in the past two years to have been surrounded by developers who were both passionate and better than I am. I truly believe I am a better developer because of it.

No comments: