Saturday, January 13, 2007

Presenting at the BJUG, What Else Could Have Gone Wrong...

Well, for starters, I could have had to drive from Monument to Boulder, got stuck in traffic, realized I didn't have the directions to get to the meeting, and barely made it on time for my presentation. That's what happened to the presenter that followed me, David, Geary, who went on to present an excellent talk on the Google Web Toolkit.

David has written an e-book on GWT Shortcuts, that was supposed to be available at Informit., but it is listed as coming soon. He also has a paper book in the works for later this year on GWT.

Anyway, back to my preso. I had signed up to present Hibernate With Annotations to the Boulder Java User's Group. Hibernate is an Object to Relational Mapping library that I am using for my pet/perpetual project to keep statistics for a hockey team. I am using a new feature in Hibernate, using Java 5 annotations to manage my Hibernate ORM. There isn't a lot of info on it currently, so I thought I would share.

So I realized that afternoon that I had forgotten my monitor adapter for my laptop (DVI to VGA). No way to hook up to the projector. D'Oh! So I left work early and picked up a cable at the Flat Irons Apple Store. Then I met some friends at a restaurant for a pre-meeting dinner. The waitress was very slow and we got out a little later that I had hoped, but we still had some time.

So I am driving into Boulder on 36, three friends in my car, just dropped over the top of the hill, and I see an HP in front of me. He is driving about 60 in a 65, so I pass him doing about 66. As soon as I pass him, he drops over and hits the lights. What the hell? Is he really gonna ticket me for 1 over? Turns out, no, my license plates have expired. So he is ticketing me for that and takes his sweet time. Now I am in trouble time-wise. When he finally gives me my ticket, I take off for the meeting. We get into the parking lot 5 minutes before I am on. I get my stuff and start into the building at a fast clip, leaving everyone else in the dust. On my way, I hit a patch of ice and fall. I barely miss a beat, jumping back up and heading in. My friends jokingly tell me to wait up. I found out later that my fall resembled my bowling style.

So I get into the meeting room and begin setting up my laptop. As I do, I look down to discover that my leg is covered in blood! Not knowing what to do, I continue setting up. My friend Demian arrives a minute later and asks if everything is going OK. I say not really and point to my leg. Demian immediately goes and grabs me a bunch of paper towels, wet and dry, which I use to start cleaning up. Fortunately, I am behind a podium, so I'm not freaking out everyone in the room. Anyway, by the time I finished setting up and futzing with getting the projector to work, my leg appears to have stopped bleeding and I am ready to start. Only five minutes late!

My friends told me that I did a great job on the presentation. They said it was not overly apparent that I had been a nervous wreck just before I started. I know that is what friends are for, but based on feedback I got from other folks in the room, I am gonna go out on a limb and say I did OK. Comparing my presentation to David's, it is obvious which one of us is a professional lecturer, but given that I am a newb, I am happy with how it went. I wanted to make sure that I didn't just "read the slides", and think I managed to avoid that particular sin of presentation. One good criticism I received is that I should have incorporated looking at my code into the presentation instead of waiting until the end to walk through it.

I agree that that would have been a better way to do it, particularly after seeing how David did this with great success. I will have to practice quickly getting in and out of PowerPoint if I want to do this successfully.

BTW, you can see my preso, and the code if you are interested, at my web site. My friend Demian, at my request, submitted the site to Digg, a community web site for sharing content. I was hoping that there would be some interest, but it flopped. I got 5 diggs, all from friends. you usually need at least a 100 to get noticed by the masses. The main reason I was hoping to get the exposure is to get more feedback on my solution. Ah well, guess I am on my own.

If you take away the fifteen minutes preceding my preso, I really enjoyed the experience. There is an old adage that the best way to learn something is to teach it. From my experience, this is definitely true!

No comments: